Joseph Wright is an experienced lawyer, advocate, and speaker. Joseph cares about and fights for his client’s legal rights and believes that everyone needs access to a lawyer. He was the first to successfully prosecute a police brutality case in Prince George’s County, Maryland.
As a child, Joseph grew up in various foster homes in Baltimore City and was adopted at the age of 9 by a family in Prince George’s County. He fully embraces his time in the foster care system and actively advocates for the needs and rights of children currently in the system.
Joseph believes in giving back to the community. He has served as an adjunct faculty, teaching students about the American trial system and discussing current legal issues. He speaks at various universities, high schools, and conferences, and is a First Tee coach.
With more than 25 years of practice in Maryland and Washington, D.C., he is equipped to help you solve your legal issues.
Education and Honors
- Tulane Law School, Juris Doctor, New Orleans, LA, 1995
The Order of the Coif
- Howard University, B.A. Political Science, Washington, DC, 1992
Political Science Honor Society, Pi Sigma Alpha
- Prince George’s Community College, A.A. Degree, Largo, MD, 1989
- Judge, District Court of Maryland, Prince George’s County, 2012-2020
Presided over thousands of cases including personal injury, business disputes, code violations, criminal, DUIs, and peace and protective orders. Member of the Maryland Criminal Law and Procedure Committee and a member of the Court Access and Community Relations Committee.
- State’s Attorney Office for Prince George’s County, MD, 1998-2012
- Assistant State’s Attorney, Special Prosecutions Unit
Prosecuted police misconduct cases from investigation through charging and trial, including police shootings.
- Violent Crimes Unit, Asst. State’s Attorney
- Weinstock, Stevan, Harris and Friedman
Private practice with business litigation in Maryland and Washington, DC. Drafted wills and advised businesses.
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Evelyn Queen, D.C. Superior Court
Bar Association Memberships
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Board of Governors, 2016
- Prince George's County Bar Association
Past President 2016
- Criminal Law Section Council, Past Member
- Maryland Bar Foundation Fellow
- MSBA Leadership Academy Fellow
- Alpha Phi Alpha Father’s Day Brunch
- Bishop McNamara Hot Topics in a Racially Diverse Society
- Domestic Violence Awareness Program
- Foundations for Home and Community, Keynote Speaker
- Holy Trinity Episcopal Day School Hot Topics in a Racially Diverse Society
- Howard University Inter-disciplinary Symposium on Opioid Use and Addiction
- Howard University School of Law, An Introspective
- Lessons Learned at Virginia Beach, Press Conferences
- Maryland Adoption Conference, Keynote Speaker
- Prince George’s Community College Commencement Address
- Prince George’s County Court Adoption Day
Community Activities and Volunteer Organizations
- Coach, Black Saga Black History Team (State Finalists), Perrywood Elementary School, 2009-11
- Coach, Fairmont Heights High School Mock Trial Team
- Coach, First Tee
- Former Board Member, Kettering Civic Federation
- Member, NAACP
- Motivational Speaker, Various Schools (60-plus schools)
- Volunteer Fundraiser, Family Crisis Center
WHAT WE DO
Wright Esq. is a full-service law firm dedicated to excellent service and passionate representation of ...Learn More